Farm & Food Sustainability

Welcome to the Food & Farm Sustainablity Forum for Catawba County!

Enter your ideas or vote for other people’s ideas. In order to vote or add an idea you will be asked to give us your email address and name. Once you’ve done that, you can optionally use the Stay signed in feature in the upper right corner.

You get a total of 10 “votes” on this topic. Adding your own idea counts as one of your “votes.” But you can always make comments, even after exhausting all of your votes.

What ideas do you have to promote food & farm sustainability?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. A joint collaboration of county goverment and producers to make our county a sustainable agricultural communitty

There are many phases of my joint collaboration idea. On a producer level, working with smaller and larger farmers to utilize equipment and reduce capital waste on equipment. If a farmer can disk,till or plant X amount of acres then why not share (not for free but fuel,labor,maintance costs on a per acre basis with other producers. Some need land and others need labor help. If two producers are close to one another then why not assist them in realizing their close and can possibly help one another. A county farmer phone book or email for those who wish to…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    • Understand the pros and cons of poultry contracts and work to promote/create viable alternatives to the contract model

As the number of contract poultry operations has increased drastically in Catawba County, I propose working to support those growers and make sure their rights are met in those contracts, and work to provide other market opportunities for growers in the county. I hope that those involved in the sustainability plan will familiarize themselves with articles like the one copied below to have an understanding of some of the issues that farmers face once opting into such contract environments. http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/november_december_2012/features/obamas_game_of_chicken041108.php

9 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Admin →
      • Joint venture with NC State University, Catawba Valley Community College, and City of Hickory for vineyard operation and degree program.

Develop a partnership with NC State University and Catawba Valley Community College in developing a degree program for agriculture, specific to vineyard and wine production. The program would offer a certificate or associate degree program based on the Surry and Robeson Community College programs. The involvement with the City of Hickory is to propose use of land originally purchased for industrial park development near Highway 321 to be used as a agriculture development center with classroom facilities, production of grapes and processing facility to promote higher education for agriculture operations.

4 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Partner with the Appalachian Sustainable Agricultural Project (ASAP)

ASAP, based in Asheville NC has been in existence for over 15 years and seems to have successfully promoted farm to table initiatives for an extended period of time. They have promotional materials, established practices, printed guides for consumers and seemingly many resources for farmers and consumers. In fact, every time my family travels to Blowing Rock, Boone, Asheville and places in between we are inundated with the influence of this organization (from stickers in windows identifying the availability of local foods to printed guides describing local farms in specific geographic areas). Should we reinvent what our neighbors may share…

4 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Agricultural Present Use Tax program

If Catawba County is serious about encouraging agriculture, then please ask your property tax people to quit discouraging and impeding the placement of property into the present use value assessment and taxation program for agriculture.

6 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Live by Example

Our children learn how to be in the world by learning from what their caregivers do. Firstly, turn the television off as much as possible. Children's television shows are spaced out by commercials which target and manipulate children to want to buy more and want more of products that are wasteful and toxic. Educate yourself about ways to help protect our earth.

Gardening

There's nothing more magical than having a child plant a seed, nurture it, and begin to see it grow. This reminds them that all living things work together to thrive. As they watch their plants grow, children…

6 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Outlaw un Agenda 21 in NC

Alliance for Citizen's Rights

by Bill Korach

Alabama has become the first state in America to outlaw financing of Agenda 21 practices. Agenda 21 is the name applied to a U.N. Agreement first approved by President George H.W. Bush, and later President Bill Clinton in 1995. Agenda 21 supports what they call “sustainable development” and overcoming “current imbalances in the global patterns of consumption and production” mild sounding phrases for vast and sweeping regulations targeted at American law, business, private property and education. The Clinton agreements would cede American control of our society to the United Nations Bureaucracy. Currently, the…

9 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Student involvement starting at the elementary level

Get kids excited about farms starting at the elementary level: get farmers into schools as mentors for school garden efforts and as role models for career days. Find funding for field trips to local farms. Promote farm-to-school programs to get local produce into school lunches.

5 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Student Involvement

Suggest more classes target farming . In the past students took agricultural classes as an easy class. I suggest the incorporation of internship programs, where students especially in the Spring could be assigned to farms, and learn from the farmers - they become mentors. The program would start w/learning equipment to use, preparing the fields, organic growing, bedding, planting( learning about seed and ways to save from one year to the next), harvesting, preserving and canning and finally to selling at markets/schools. Many of us that farm are getting older, and would welcome the opportunity to have some extra help.…

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Help land owners harvest Good "Saw Quality Timber" that exists in Catawba County.

We are part of the Catawba County "VAD" and have a "Woodland Management Program". We want to preserve our beautiful tract of land while carefully harvesting limited amounts of tree stands that are ready for harvest (select cutting). There must be a way to attract loggers that do not come in and decimate numerous acres.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Promote farm to food initiatives. Annual farm dining tours, farmer's markets, or local venues that offer local food choices.

It is great to grow your own food, but if you do not have the time or available space, having local options even when dining out would be wonderful. This would support our local econonmy, save natural resources (fuel, water, etc.), and would possibly bring more travel and tourism dollars to our county. People like knowing, and really want to know where their food comes from.

9 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • More grant opportunities for up and coming small farms. Modify the VAD program in Catawba Co. Community outreach and education for farmers.

Being a small organic produce farm I am always looking for ways to get assistance from the financial side of farming. Ultimately I would farm full-time but without an off-farm job it is not possible. Farming is such an important aspect of our economy and everyone's livelihood, yet in my opinion, a vast majority of our community doesn't understand the "food chain". Where your food comes from, how it gets to you and your family, etc. By community outreach, governmental and community support the financial burdens of farms may be alleviated somewhat. This in turn would hopefully lead to more…

9 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            1 comment  ·  Admin →
                          • Property tax breaks for converting lawn to food gardens.

This would conserve water and improve water quality, build food security, and reduce food miles and thus fossil fuel use.

12 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Affordable sustainability and maintenance

As generations change, it is difficult to maintain the larger tracts of land. This maintenance consists of equipment, taxes, crop, harvest, and time. Sometimes it is just much easier to sell the land than sustain. These are the challenges as we see them.

11 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Hello. I reposted the article in the Hickory News you asked in Linkedin Group Agritourism and here are the answers I got : http://www.link

Hello. I reposted the article in the Hickory News you asked in Linkedin Group Agritourism and here are the answers I got :
                                http://www.linkedin.com/groupAnswers?viewQuestionAndAnswers=&discussionID=125733441&gid=1790537&commentID=85277097&trk=view_disc&ut=1lzaDElF3rSRg1

Jan Nirri • Wow, I'm excited that more places are considering sustainable models of farming. There is a great example at Polyface Farm in VA: http://www.polyfacefarms.com/principles/
                                19 hours ago• Like• Reply privately• Flag as inappropriate

Follow Alan
                                Alan Fairbairn • Join our organization at www.agritourisminternational.com
                                Blogs from successful farm marketing programs will be posted regularlly and we have conventions booths attending travel shows to market our members to consumers.
                                8 hours ago• Like

Follow Martha
                                Martha…

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • 9 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  Admin →
                                  • Farmers Markets

encourage and support local (truly local) growers of fruits, vegetables, herbs, etc to sell their goods at our 2 local farmers markets in CatCo. Maybe give incentives, help with 'furnishings' to display, etc. I love our markets and hope/pray someday there will be more local's there.

8 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Reassure the citizens that animal agriculture is not hazardous to their health.

Help the citizens of our county understand that animal agriculture is done with conservation of natural resources in mind. Promote the best practice methods and list the number of farmers who have fenced out creeks, ponds, and wetlands in orders to maintain safe water for us all.

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)